Arizona is a state which is located in the southwest region of the United States of America. It also a part of the Mount West states and a part of the Western United States of USA. It ranks on the 6th place in terms of area covered and holds the 14th rank in terms of the most populous state among the 50 states of United States of America. The capital of this state is Phoenix which is also the largest in the whole state. The state Arizona is one of the Four Corners states of the USA. It touches the borders of the state New Mexico, state Utah, state Nevada, state California, and Mexico. The length of Arizona's border that touches with Mexico is 389 miles long, which touches Mexican states Sonora and Baja California from the Northern direction.
Arizona is the 48th state among other states in the United States and it became the part of USA on the day of February 14, in the year of 1912. The Southern part of Arizona has desert climate i.e. It is too hot and full of sand, It is very hot summers season and in mild winters. The Northern part of Arizona is home to the flora containing the pine forests, Douglas-fir, and the spruce, the Plateau in Colorado, mountain ranges, and large and deep Grand canyons, with moderate temperature in summer and snowfalls in winters. The main attractions are ski resorts; Grand Canyons, National forests, national parks and national monuments.
Map of Arizona
Map of Arizona Cities
University of Arizona Map
Geography and Geology
The state of Arizona is located in the South-West part of the United States and is a part of the Four Corners states in the country. Arizona holds up the 6th rank in terms of the area that it holds and is ranked just after New Mexico and it ranks just before Nevada. The total area that the state holds is 113,998 square miles i.e. 295,000 km2 out of which approximately 15% of the land is privately owned by the citizens of the state. The remaining area is converted into the public forests and park lands, the state trust land by the state government and some part is kept for the Native American reservations.
The state of Arizona is famous for its desert Basin and Range region in the southern part of the state, It is rich in plants like cactus that do not need much water to survive as it is a dessert. The climate of the state is hot in summers and mild winters. The state is with pine trees in the North-Central portion of the state. Arizona has a large number of mountains and plateaus that can be found in most of the Southern states of USA.
Now the best part of the state is that in the Northern region of Arizona, you can find the Great Grand Canyons. It is such a beauty to see, full of colors, steep-sided gorge and the best part is that it is carved naturally by the Colorado River. The Great canyon is also one of the seven natural wonders of the world and its maximum part is contained in the Grand Canyon National Park. Arizona is also the home a meteorite impact site which is well preserved BTW. It was created/meteorite fell on it around 50,000/50k years ago, it is called “Meteorite Crater” and now there is this gigantic hole dug in the ground in the high plains of Colorado Plateau, which is situated at 25 miles west of the Winslow city. The crater is nearly 1 mile wide, and 570 feet deep.
Road Map of Arizona
Map of Arizona Counties
Race and ethnicity
In the year of 1980, the Census Bureau of the country reported that Arizona population consists of 16.2% Hispanic people, 5.6% Native American people, and 74.5% non-Hispanic white people.
In the year of 2010, the population of the state was categorized as follows:
- 73.0% of the total population of Arizona is White in the race.
- 4.6% of the total population of Arizona is Native American and Alaska Native in the race.
- 4.1% of the total population of Arizona is Black or African American in the race.
- 2.8% of the total population of Arizona is Asian in the race.
- 0.2% of the total population of Arizona is Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander in the race.
- 11.9% of the total population of Arizona is from some other race
- 3.4% of the total population of Arizona is from two or more races.
The Hispanics/Latinos made around 29.6% of the state's population regardless of race. The of total percentage of Non-Hispanic whites was 57.8in the total population in the year 2010.
Top 10 non-English languages spoken in Arizona
According to the survey in the year of 2010, the top 10 non-English languages spoken in Arizona are as follows:
- The total number of Spanish speaking people were 20.80%
- The total number of Navajo-speaking people were 1.48%
- The total number of German speaking people were 0.39%
- The total number of Chinese (including Mandarin) speaking people were 0.39%
- The total number of Tagalog speaking people were 0.33%
- The total number of Vietnamese-speaking people were 0.30%
- Other North American indigenous languages (especially indigenous languages of Arizona) 0.27%
- The total number of French-speaking people were 0.26%
- The total number of Arabic speaking people were 0.24%
- The total number of Apache speaking people were 0.18%
- The total number of Korean-speaking people were 0.17%
Famous cities and towns
1. Phoenix, it is located in Maricopa County, and is the capital of Arizona and the largest city in the state. Other big/developed cities in the Phoenix metro area are: Mesa, Glendale, Peoria, Chandler, Buckeye, Sun City, Sun City West, Fountain Hills, Surprise, Gilbert, El Mirage, Avondale, Tempe, Tolleson and Scottsdale, the total population of these cities are just slightly over 4.3 million. The average high July temperature is 41 °C (106 °F), of the average high January temperature, is 19 °C (67 °F).
2. Tucson, with a metropolitan population of over one million, is the second- largest city in the state. It is situated in Pima County, which is situated at approximately 110 miles South-East direction of Phoenix. Tucson city was incorporated in the year 1877, making that one of the oldest cities that were incorporated in the state of Arizona. The most important thing, University of Arizona is situated in Tucson. Average temperatures are 100 °F (38 °C) in July and 65 °F (18 °C) in January.